The Griffintown district of Montreal has a lot to offer. Here are some suggestions.
The Griffintown area is home to lots of great restaurants, spurred on in part by developments along the nearby canal and the Atwater public market.
Right around the corner
These restaurants are within a block of the office.
- Griffintown is a cafe with rich lunches, a spectacular hamburger, and good coffees and beers.
- Brasseurs de Montréal is a local brewery with a great selection of artisanal beers. In the summer, it’s got an outside terrace, and the menu is full of gourmet comfort food.
- Le Boucan is a bar-be-queue joint nearby, with great chicken and ribs.
- La Bistrote has sandwiches and light lunch fare.
Slightly farther afield
These restaurants are near the Atwater Market, a two-minute drive or fifteen-minute walk from the office.
- Joe Beef, Liverpool House, and McTiernan’s Luncheonette are a trifecta of amazing restaurants — some rated the best in Canada — owned by the same team.
- The Burgundy Lion is a British-style pub with great food and beer, and every soccer game imaginable on its screens.
- Toi, Moi et Café is a superb breakfast joint with a creative menu, and a wide selection of coffees and teas. Their sister restaurant in the Plateau roasts the coffee for them.
- Lili & Oli makes some of the best coffee in the city, and has a relaxed feel and big couches.
Gyms & activities
RPM is right next to the Lachine Canal, a historic landmark from the days when all Canadian commerce going to the Great Lakes came through here. The canal paths are full of cyclists and rollerbladers in the summer — and the occasional skier in the winter. We have shower facilities at RPM, for folks who want to get out at lunch or bike into work.
There are two gym facilities nearby:
- Allez-up is the city’s top rock climbing gym, with pitches to please everyone from kids and first-timers to hard-core experts.
- Studio Breathe is an open-style gym offering yoga, boxing classes, and more.
Montreal has excellent public transport, including the pioneering Bixi rental bike system that’s a snap to use in the summer months. It’s also easy to get cabs on nearby Notre Dame street.
- The closest metro station is Georges Vanier, which is roughly a 7-minute walk from RPM.
- Bixi bike rental stands are all over the city. There’s one on the corner outside the office.
- The city’s bus system is modern, and easy to use. Number 57 runs right past the office; you can call an automated number to check on the time of the next bus.